Hercus had outgrown the St. Peters site in 1926 and purchased land and erected a building at Chapel Street, Norwood. Business was brisk and the product range was enlarged and improved to meet the growing demand for components required by the developing motor body industry.
However by the late 1920's the chill winds of depression were beginning to blow.. Hercus was forced to downsize and resort to a shorter working week to survive. That it did do, while many businesses failed, Fredrick Hercus with his capacity for hard work and ability to command respect from his employees got Hercus through this pro-longed period of hardship.
During this hardship, no job was overlooked and products of this period included a butchers mincer, flywheel ring gears and a range of tools and equipment for the automotive repair industry.
A measure of prosperity returned in 1936 and Hercus added a small foundry to produce iron castings.